Triple Darted Tee Shirt
I found the idea for this shirt in a issue of Australian Stitches magazine. This style has three darts radiating out from the right sideseam. This project can be completed in any PatternMaster program. The fabric shown is a lightweight stable polyester knit. This style can be created with an armscye dart and most any neckline. The darts can also be stitched on the outside of the fabric for a different look. I have adapted the pattern making instructions for our PatternMaster Pattern Editor or Cameo Pattern Design.
Draft the Patterns
To make this style, launch PatternMaster and go to the Blouses, Tops, Shirts, or Activewear screen depending upon the program you are using. Make the following style options and settings.
- Boutique: Blouses - classic, tee shirt, or sleeveless
- Knits: Tops/Sheaths/Jackets - classic, tee shirt, or sleeveless
- Child’s Play: Tops - classic, tee shirt, or sleeveless
- Curves: Activewear - classic, tee shirt, or tank
- Tailor Made: Shirts - classic, tee shirt, or tank
- Neckline - front and back scoop neck
- Closure - no closure for knit fabrics; back closure for woven fabrics
- Waist Fit - Fitted
- Hemline Sweep - Straight
- Darts - none
- Sleeves - your choice, if sleeveless was not selected
- Neckline Shape - reshape front and back neckline, if desired
- Length - set as desired
- Front and back neck depth and neck width - set as desired (just make sure the neck is wide enough and low enough to go over your head. We chose a front and back neck depth of 3 inches (7.5 cm) and a neck width of 2 inches (5 cm) and 2 1/2 inches (6 cm) of ease for the chest and hips
Save the Style
- Save the style as Triple Darted Tee Shirt. Your patterns should look something like the patterns in Figure 1.
- Open the patterns in the Pattern Editor.
Figure 1. Make and save the patterns
Create the Darts
- Select and delete all of the patterns except the front.
- Choose Save As from the File menu and enter Triple Darted Tee Shirt Front for the file name and save it.
- Select the Front and choose Ungroup (Ctrl U).
- Select and delete the seam allowances (Fig. 2).
- Select the front pattern and mirror (MI) on the center front line (Fig 3).
- Press the Save (FS) button.
- Locate the following points using the Locate Points (LP) tool (Fig. 4).
Figure 2. Select and delete seam allowances
Figure 3. Mirror the front
- 2.5 inches (6.5 cm) down from armhole
- 6 inches (15.25 cm) down from armhole
- 3 inches (7 cm) down from waist point on the hip curve
- 1 inch (2.5 cm) up from waist point
- 2.5 inches (5 cm) up from waist point
- 1 inch (2.5 cm) down from waist point on the hip curve
Figure 4. Locate points on sideseams
Figure 5. Connect the points on the sideseams
Figure 6. Select objects to rotate
Figure 7. Rotate by Units
Figure 8. Rotate by Units
Figure 9. Rotate by Units
Figure 10. Connect the points a shown
Figure 11. True the darts
Figure 12. The finished front pattern
Copyright Wild Ginger Software, Inc. 1995-present. All rights reserved.
This publication, or any part thereof, may not be reproduced in any form, by any method, for any purpose, without the express written consent of Wild Ginger Software, Inc.